Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Back To School

This week has been our "Back to School Week." We are reviewing last year's work and refreshing our memories about what we have learned, as well as getting used to our school schedule and where a toddler fits into life with school.

Our week started informally on Saturday with wool dying. I heard about a local spinning store hosting a bring your own fibers natural dying day, so the boys and I got together two skeins of wool and a gold playsilk each and brought it for dying.

 We made variegated yarn by first dunking all but the end you are holding of the skein into the madder dye and moving it around a little. then I pulled out a bunch of it and hung it over the edge and brought out more yarn bit by bit until only the other tip remained in the dye. Then I threw the whole thing in marigold to brighten it up and make it red and orange instead of red and pink.


 The green came from a certain kind of sage plant with yellow flowers. I made it variegated with marigold dye in the same way as with the madder.
the boys are so proud of their yarn! They can't wait to use it!

When the dye ran out, the woman who had harvested the dyestuffs told me that they were not going to harvest anything else from the Botanical Gardens dye garden and that I should go help myself, so we drove down the road to the Garden, the boys very happy to get a day at the Botanical Gardens.


 and speaking of cute toddlers...
 Little Ollie Stomper finally got to put on some stomping boots!

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! I'm curious about dyeing yarn too, and I love variegates yarns! Also, I need to get Lilja some stomping boots too! Lichen looks like such a big kid :)

    ReplyDelete